Cemeteries and Churches
Excerpts from books about Amesbury
Museums and Landmarks
Please contact Betsy
Webber, Town Coordinator, if you have any additions or questions about
- The territory comprising the present town of Amesbury was originally a part of Salisbury. On May 23, 1666, "Salisbury-newtown" was granted the privileges of a town, and May 27, 1668 the name was changed to Amesbury. In the Massachusetts Bay Colony records the name is entered as "Emesbury, "
after Amesbury, in Wiltshire, England.
- May 12 1678, just and full bounds were allowed to Amesbury.
- Beginning as a modest farming
community, it would develop an aggressive maritime and industrial economy.
The 90 foot drop in the falls of the Powwow River provided water power for
sawmills and gristmills. The ferry across the Merrimack River to
Newburyport was a lively business until the construction of bridges to
Deer Island. Newton, New Hampshire would be set off from Amesbury in 1741,
when the border between the two colonies was adjusted.
- On Mar. 15, 1844, part of Salisbury,
called "Little Salisbury, " was annexed.
- Apr. 11, 1876, part of the town was
established as Merrimac.
- July 1, 1886, part of Salisbury was
In the 19th century, textile mills
were built at the falls, as was a mechanized nail-making factory, believed
to be the nation's first. The Merrimac Hat Company produced more
hats than any of its competitors. Beginning in 1853, Amesbury became
famous for building carriages, a trade which would evolve into the
manufacture of automobile bodies. The industry, however, would end with
the Great Depression. from Amesbury
Vital Records and Wikpedia
Massachusetts USGenWeb Project
Essex County USGenWeb Project
New Hampshire USGenWeb Project
Rockingham County, NH USGenWeb Project
Essex County Massachusetts Genealogy Project - Founded August 1996. Amesbury Massachusetts Genealogy Project established November 1997.
This site created Sept 30, 2006 and last updated on March 22, 2010- E-mail to Betsy Webber
Copyright ©2006-'2010 by B. Webber